I get sidetracked all the time. I make my list on the white board of things to get done in a day, and off I go. I'm ready for the task. Ready to cross my list off. My laundry is all folded on the table and I pick up a load to take to a bedroom, I put the clothes where they go, and I see it. Belts and junk on the dresser. I have to put those up while I'm thinking about it. That wasn't on my list, but how was I supposed to know all that junk jumped up on the dresser like that?? Back to the table for the next load. I take Ty's clothes to his room and THERE THEY ARE!! Those 3 teabags that were on the kitchen counter (that I forgot to throw away b/c I got sidetracked earlier)...there they are, all chewed up on. Brett's. bed. Shadow (my lab) snatched them from the counter and decided Brettt's bed was a nice place to eat tea bags. I get side-tracked. Should I google "My dog ate 3 tea bags. Will she die?" Should I call poison control? Nah. I shake the chewed up bags onto the floor, head to the washing machine to wash the bedspread, grab the broom and head back to the boys' room. Sweep up the tea bags. I figure, while I have the broom, I may as well go ahead and sweep the whole house. (Was not on my list). The more I sweep, the more I see this floor is nasty so I may as well mop it. (Not on the list).
I wash my hands after mopping and see all the dishes that need to be washed. (Not on my list). I wash dishes anyway. Might as well put them up.
I head back to the table to finish putting up laundry. I get Matt's stack to take into our room. Heading to my room past the school room I notice a few things out of place. I put Matt's clothes up and head into the school room. (Not on my list).
On and on this goes (and it's just 9:00am). I can make my list of 3 things turn into 20. My list can go from being an hour long to ALL DAY long.
One thing I will do...I will sit with the boys and play Candyland and I. Will. Win.
Do you get side-tracked like that?? Please humor me and say "YES".
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Thanks Jaime! It makes me feel so much better to read that :o) Right now I have half done laundry, half done dishes, and half done everything! I read somewhere that women were wired this way and that although it's annoying, it is what helps us do so many other things at one time. That answer makes me feel better :o)
I, too, do this all the time. I ask myself daily, "If there is still so much to do (from my list) WHAT did I do all day?" The answer, whatever I find that needs to be done & there is always something, so I am never finished. :) Thanks for posting this, it made me smile.
Yes!!! Or what about when you wake up in the morning and don't really have a list yet? You decide to make yourself coffee and breakfast but head to the bathroom first. Then you get sidetracked cleaning the bathroom, doing laundry, straightening the house, changing diapers, bathing children, pouring milk in sippy cups, fixing bowls of cereal, cleaning said milk off the floor, loading the dishwasher...and all you can think about is that coffee you haven't yet brewed. Then something amazing happens...your husband gets out of bed, walks to the kitchen, pours a bowl of cereal and begins to eat. And you wonder, "What is wrong with this picture?"
Oh, yes. That is me! Only I tend to say "I'm coming" or "I'm going to do/get this..." and then I do five things along the way. I have to work on that.
Post a Comment