Monday, August 25, 2008

A Lesson Learned

"Do not quench the Spirit" ( 1 Thessalonians 5:19 ), and do not despise Him when He says to you, in effect, "Don’t be blind on this point anymore— you are not as far along spiritually as you thought you were. Until now I have not been able to reveal this to you, but I’m revealing it to you right now." When the Lord disciplines you like that, let Him have His way with you.
Allow Him to put you into a right-standing relationship before God.
This is a quote from a friend's blog. Seems I spend a lot of time thinking of God and just knowing what He expects from me. But I have a hard time sitting. I just can't seem to sit and spend time with Him as I should, and as I really desire to. When I put Him down on my priority list, I am quenching the Spirit. He has definitely told me a while back, and let me know clearly that I'm not as far along spiritually as I think I am. Not too long ago, God disciplined me for 2 days straight. I can't remember a time I felt so awful. I was under such conviction. This wasn't for outright sinning. I was just so far behind spiritually that I hadn't realized the hurt I had caused people and really didn't know what to do or how to handle things. I'm thankful for God disciplining me. I was drawn to God and I loved Him so much more afterwards. There was a freedom in the disciplining. Verses 23 & 24 say, "May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, and He will do it." Discipline brings peace, maturity, and freedom. Grab hold and learn from the discipline of the Lord. It's just one part to the process of becoming like Christ, which is our goal.

No comments: