Friday, January 9, 2009

Skyway Bridge, Tampa Bay

Going to Hollywood from St. Pete, we cross the Tampa Bay. We go over the Skyway Bridge, and the story of this bridge fascinates me. I know it was a tragedy, but just to know the story behind it, and to actually see it and be on the new bridge is great. Google "Skyway Bridge". Long story bearable...On May 9, 1980 at around 7:30 in the morning, a barge ran into the bridge because of so much rain and fog. 34 people died b/c their cars ran off the bridge, one vehicle was a Greyhound bus. One person who fell into the water survived. So now, on the old bridge, which you can see from my 2 pictures at the bottom, there's a fishing pier at both ends of the old bridge. It's just an incredible thing when I ride over the bridge. So this was part of our traveling on Christmas day, so I thought I'd add it into my "Christmas blog".


No comments: