"We're not trying to replicate the time, style, or content of the classroom. Rather we're trying to cultivate a lifestyle of learning in which learning takes place from morning until bedtime 7 days each week. The "formal" portion of each teaching day is just the tip of the iceburg."
Steve and Jane Lambert-authors of Five in A Row curriculum
I would never have thought that I would homeschool. Ne-ver! I was an awful student and I really don't know how I graduated. How I got through college...that's another good question. But I do know this. God has called me and He will equip me. Becoming a wife was one thing. Becoming a mother was another thing. But teaching my kids, not just "in the classroom" is a whole different ballgame. I try to teach them "school" things, ie. math, how to read, colors, tally marks, ect...but I'm also teaching them how to cook, measure, clean after themselves, have manners (and am having little luck with that one), how to respect others, how it's important to read your Bible. Just when I think I'm failing, Ty and his friend, Tyler come in the house for a few minutes to look for a toy. Ty comes to me and whispers, "Mom, will you read the Bible to Tyler now? He needs someone to teach him about Jesus." I'm crying as I type that. It's a burden on Ty's heart that his friend Tyler doesn't know and love Jesus yet. Ty hasn't made a "profession" yet, but Ty knows Jesus and loves Him and wants to obey. And Ty wants Tyler to have the privalege of being able to have someone to read the Bible to him like we do to Ty and Brett. He wants Tyler to know and love Jesus. Many parents rely on the church to teach their kids Bible stories and about Jesus. But Matt brought up a wonderful point in church this morning..."What if we didn't have Sunday School? Who would teach your children about Jesus?" I WILL!! If I have to stand alone and teach my children about Jesus, I'll do that. That's the most important thing to teach...when I rise, through my day, and at bedtime...I should be teaching. So some may think I shouldn't be homeschooling my children. That's okay because I'm called by God to do this. I firmly know that. There are frustrating days...many of them. But God is faithful. I will teach my children all they need to know...and the most important thing they should know is about Jesus and His salvation.
Who would teach your child about Jesus if there was no Sunday School?

3 comments:
Thank you for those encouraging words Jaime! I'm glad you recognize your call for your family at this phase in your life, even if it's not something you ever planned to do!
p.s. I think you ARE doing a great job by the way!
So fun. I love hearing about Ty's heart for the lost!
Post a Comment