Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Meaning of Christmas

Saturday our church is doing Love In Action. This is where we will give out free turkeys with all the fixin's, free toys, free clothes, free blankets, free everything. They can even have their things wrapped at the wrapping station to give as gifts b/c most of these people will not have money to buy Christmas gifts. More than giving out free things, four of us will be doing nothing but sharing the gospel with everyone who comes in. That would be around 50-75 families. That's a lot of gospel. I'm nervous about this. Will I take too long and cause a back-up with so many people coming in? Will I mess up? Will I be confident in what I know? Will verses come to me on the spot? Will I be personable enough? How will I start the conversation?
God has helped me out a little on the last question. It's the Christmas season. We give gifts. I've bought for almost everyone we're going to buy for. These people can come in and get free gifts. We expect nothing from them. They can't earn or deserve these gifts. We love these people and want to give them things they can't go out and get on their own. Isn't that the Gospel??
We can't earn salvation. We don't deserve it. This baby that was born at Christmas came with a purpose. He was our substitute. A substitute teacher fills in for the teacher who can't be there. Jesus filled in...died for...our sins because we couldn't. It seems we do a pretty good job celebrating Jesus' birth, but maybe we don't remember WHY He came. WHY he was born. He was our free gift. The gift we don't deserve and can't earn. We can't be good enough. We can't get to God any other way than by putting our trust in this gift, Jesus.
So Saturday, I'm thrilled to send these people away with loads full of toys/food/clothes...but I'm more thrilled about sharing about this better gift that they can have...Jesus Christ.
What do you say when you receive a gift? "Thank you." There's no magic prayer or magic words that will save people. Receive His gift and say "Thank you."
That's the meaning of Christmas. Will you share this gift?

3 comments:

Matt Williamson said...

Glad to me your husband, and gladder to be there beside you giving out the best free gift of the day- JESUS.

Jaime said...

I'm glad to me your wife!

Paige said...

Very beautifully put! Thank you for your willingness to love on these people that will come tomorrow. Thank you for being used in such a mighty way for the Lord! I love ya girl!