Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Laundry and Sin

I am not one to make something spiritual out of everything. I'm just not. So it's funny how when I was washing clothes yesterday, something spiritual came to my mind. Here's the story...and apologies for the details...
Brett pooped in his pants--big time--all the way down to his shoe!
Now, normally, if Matt washes clothes, he does what normal people do--wash them once and put them in the dryer. Done.
Not me. I KNOW where the clothes have been. Some may have had poop on them. Some may have had mud on them, oil, throw up...who knows? I keep a mental check on my laundry. So this load of laundry that Brett had soiled was RINSED FIRST, then washed with laundry detergent, then I took them out and smelled them, and washed AGAIN in laundry detergent. Matt would have NEVER smelled of them!! That's just me though. *(Is it just me, or do you smell your laundry before drying too)*??
So as I was washing (or re-washing) the clothes, I thought of myself and my sin.
Jesus has washed away my sin...all of it. There's not even a smell left over. I'm pure and clean and righteous and justified, and will one day be glorified! But that's SO HARD to accept sometimes...hard to fathom. I know myself, my past, my sinfulness. It stunk. It was bad. I can't imagine WHY God or HOW God could die, wash me clean, and be done. He did it once and said, "It is finished." He didn't even need to check to see if I needed to be rinsed or rewashed. I was clean. His power and love and death and blood cleaned me all the way...and you too! I'm so thankful that He gave me that reminder this week. I hate doing laundry, but I got something so great from it this time.
Thank you, Holy Spirit, for speaking to me in such a funny and unusual way. Thank you for cleaning me up and using me. You're amazing!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love finding God in the small inane things@

Unknown said...

That was very uplifting. Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Yes, I smell my laundry. But I didn't used to. I think it came with potty training! :o) Thanks for sharing! I love it when God teaches me things from everyday life!

Anonymous said...

found it! it was fun running into ya'll today!